Mrs. Williams lived in a small street in London, and now she had a new
neighbour. Her name was Mrs. Briggs, and she talked a lot about her expensive
furniture, her beautiful carpets and her new kitchen.
‘Do you know,’ she said to Mrs. Williams one day, ‘I’ve got a new
dishwasher. It washes the plates and glasses and knives and forks beautifully.’
‘Oh?’ Mrs. Williams answered. ‘And does it dry them and put them in the
Mrs. Briggs was surprised. ‘Well,’ she answered, ‘the things in the machine
are dry after an hour, but it doesn’t put them away, of course.’
‘I’ve had a dishwasher for twelve and a half years,’ Mrs. Williams said.
‘Oh?’ Mrs. Briggs answered. ‘And does yours put the things in the cupboard
when it has washed them?’ She laughed nastily.
‘Yes, he does,’ Mrs. Williams answered. ‘He dries the dishes and puts them
B. Write these sentences. Put one of these words in each empty place:
an any no none some
1. Mrs. Briggs was rich, but Mrs. Williams was not. Mrs. Briggs had
some beautiful carpets, but Mrs. Williams didn’t have any .
2. Mrs. Briggs had some expensive furniture, but Mrs. Williams had none .
3. Mrs. Briggs had an expensive dishwasher, but Mrs. Williams did
not have any machines in her kitchen.
4. Mrs. Briggs had no nice roses in her garden, but Mrs. Williams had
some flowers in hers.
5. Mrs. Briggs had some big trees in her garden too, but Mrs. Williams
C. Write this story. Put one of these words in each empty place:
he him his her it its she
Mrs. Williams had a good baby: she never cried, and her clothes were
always clean. Mrs. Briggs was very surprised and said, ‘When my daughter
was small, I gave lots of food, but . She cried a lot, and her clothes were
always dirty. Why is your baby so different? How do you do ?’
‘Well,’ answered Mrs. Williams, ‘my first child was a boy. I always gave
him a lot of food, he got very fat, and his stomach was always full. He
cried a lot and was dirty. Now I give my new baby much less, and she is
happy and clean.’
Verb To Be
A) Use verb to be.
Hello I am Marla and I am
from Madrid in Span. I am
11 years old and I love music. I’ve got two sisters and one brother.
My brother is Alberto, he is
tall and thin and he loves computer
games. My two sisters are younger than me and my brother.I am the oldest of my sisters. My sisters
3 and 4 years old.
They like playing with dolls. I am very funny, I usually go out with my
friends Marta and Noella on Saturdays. They are 11 and 12 years old.My mum loves cinema and my dad loves sport and nature. I am very happy.
B. Complete the sentences. Use verb to be.
My teacher is American. We are at school
- Where is my dictionary?
- What is It?
- I am eleven years old.
- Are you OK?
- We are students
- Murray is my brother.
- Susan and Sanah are my friends.
- I am from Span.
- John is English.
1. John doesn’t like dancing. 2. do you need some water? 3.Hector is riding his horse. 4. Sara is catching the school bus now. 5. I need some eggs to make a cake. 6.Patricia bought a punch of flowers for me. 7.The soup was too hot for us. 8. I couldn’t get tickets for the concert. 9.Daniel wore her new dress yesterday. 10. Walter won the first price at school. 11.The pilot landed smoothly. 12. Alexander cried every night. 13. We enjoyed the theater play yesterday. 14.My grandmother is 60 years old. 15. American football player had an accident. 16.You visited the museum with Tom. 17.They had A big surprise last Sunday. 18. how many people did you meet?
1. Maria is cooking dinner. 2. Lily is reading a book. 3. John and Susan are working. 4. father is working in the garden. 5. Peter and Judy are writing on the whiteboard. 6. my mother is preparing dinner. 7. The teacher is writing in her notebook. 8. Anna is washing her dress. 9.My friends are watching TV. 10. Hellen is diving in the sea. 11. Pam and Peter are coloring the walls. 12. Grandpa is smoking a cigarette. 13. My sister is cutting some bread. 14. The girls are playing with their dolls. 15. Emma is wearing black trousers. 16. Henry and Lee are eating burgers. 17. Alvin is swimming in the lake. 18. The cats are not jumping over the fence. 19.Woody and Bean are looking for Tony. 20. Pappy is telephoning her friend.
- The couple was sitting on a bench. The man was reading a book while the woman was knitting.
- Cheetah is the fastest land animal.
- What’s a nice view!
- We went to the cinema and saw a very funny movie. We really had a good time!
- You should take an umbrella, it’s going to rain.
- My father is a vet and my mother is a teacher.
- I need a new pair of shoes.
- What the lovely shoes you have !
- I am against a vivisection .
- She dislikes bananas.
- The banana I ate this morning was ripe.
- The dog is a pet she prefers: she thinks it is a faithful animal. Personally, I prefer cats.
- How much luggage do they have?
- He went to school by bike.
- Put the oil in the pan.
- Go past the school and then it’s on your right. You can’t miss it!
- They play tennis twice a week.
- She has a shower every morning.
- Ann and Rob met by chance on a train.
- The boy who is sitting in the last row is my brother.
- Will you pass me the salt, please?
- French are said to be presumptuous people.
- They live in Belgium but they were born in the USA.
- Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world.
- We had a romantic dinner cruise on Seine.
- Himalayas form the border between India and the rest of Indian continent.
- I want to know the truth.
- Paul plays soccer better then he plays the guitar.
- The most boys are interested in cars.
- I heard on the radio that there had been a terrible earthquake in California last night.
|Fanny and Ethel worked in the same office, and, they were neighbours at home.|
|Fanny was rather a careless girl, and he often lost things. Then she usually went to Ethel to borrow more from her.|
|Ethel was a kind girl, but she sometimes got tired of lending things to her friend. One Saturday afternoon Fanny knocked at Ethel’s front door, and when|
|Ethel came to open it, Fanny said to her, ‘Oh, hullo, Ethel. Please lend me a bag. I’ve lost mine. I’m going to the shops, and I feel very stupid when I haven’t got anything in my hand when I go out in the street.’|
|Ethel laughed and answered, ‘Well, Fanny, go down to the end of the garden. You’ll find a nice wheelbarrow in the shed there. Take that when you go down to the shops. Then you’ll have something in both of your hands.’|
Answer these questions.
1.Why did Fanny often lose things?
Fanny often lost her things because she is very careless girl.
2.Why did Ethel lend things to Fanny?
Ethel lent her things to Fanny because she is very kind girl.
3.Why didn’t Fanny want to go to the shops without a bag?
She felt very stupid when she hadn’t got anything in her hand.
4.Why didn’t Ethel lend her a bag?
She didn’t lend her bag because she got tired.
5.What did she want Fanny to take to the shops?
She wanted that she took wheelbarrow to the shop.
6.Did Fanny take it, do you think?
Of course no, I think they just laughed.
|2. B. Which of these sentences are true? Write the correct ones down .|
|1. Ethel often borrowed things. True|
|2. Fanny often borrowed things. Fanny often lent things.|
3. Ethel often lent things to Fanny. True
4. Fanny often lent things to Ethel. Fanny often borrowed things to Ethel.
|5. One day Ethel lost her bag. One day Fanny wanted to borrow a bag to Ethel.|
|6. One day Fanny lost her bag. true|
7. Fanny liked carrying something in her hand. True
|8. Fanny did not like carrying things.Fanny liked to carry bag in her hand.|
9. There was a shed at the end of Ethel’s garden. true
|10. There was a shed at the end of Fanny’s garden. There was a shed at the end of Ethel’s garden.|
C. Write this story, but do not put pictures :put words.
Ethel’s house is in a small street. It has a small garden at the back, and there is a house in it. Ethel keeps her wheelbarrow there. Ethel is a clever girl. She works in an office. This is Ethel. She is at the door of her house, and she’s got a bag in her left hand. Because she is going to the shops.